Friday, August 31, 2007

Day 6

This morning we had cereal for breakfast. It was a so slow, lazy morning. I checked the mail to see if our modem had come yet for internet, but nope, nothing.

We drove into town around 10:30am to look for car insurance and start up a bank account. We first stopped at a bank called Westpac and they had a lot to offer. They also told us that no bank in NZ would let us get a credit card because we weren’t NZ residents. That’s ok because they have a debit-type card that we could get for free. But we didn’t have our passports so she couldn’t start up and account for us or look up car insurance quotes. So we drove back to our apartment and grabbed those, as well as our papers that said we were residents in Tauranga.

Setting up the account didn’t take too long, but just wanting to get a car insurance quote took forever. She had to log us into the system in order to do that which required a lot of information and even a survey. We were there for hours. And then even after we had to do all that waiting around, our attempt to get a car quote was denied. We hadn’t eaten lunch yet, but we still had some things to do.

Dave dropped me off at the Cyber Zone to check my email while we went looking around for car insurance. I checked my email, facebook, etc. and saw that Sarah Postma had emailed me saying our wedding pictures were online. I checked those out for a while and then Dave came. (www.sarahpostmaphotography.com/tara&dave)

He did a little emailing as well and had heard back from the place where he had sent in his resume. They will probably get back to him within a week or so. We looked at a few more of the pictures and then headed home for lunch.

It was about 3 by the time we had lunch. We heated up some leftover stir fry. As we were making lunch Aaron, our landlord came down to see if we could come up and finish up some paperwork when we were finished with lunch.

We went upstairs and got everything sorted out. I started showing Deb our wedding pictures while Dave and Aaron brought the small desk into our flat for me to use. After that Aaron and Dave had a beer that Aaron had brewed himself and we all sat around and talked. Deb asked us if we’d like to stay for tea and Dave was like, “Sure I’ll have a cup if you’re making some.” Apparently tea down here means dinner/supper. We stayed and had dinner with them. It was delicious. Deb made a mango chicken, rice, leeks (which is a lot like spring onions and are very yummy), silver beets (a lot like spinach) and a mix of vegetables.

After “tea” we sat around and talked some more. Aaron was talking about how his company didn’t have a graphic designer and asked if I wanted to do any free lance work for them. He showed me a couple of their products and asked what I would do differently for the packaging and such. I voiced a few of my opinions. He also gave me some files to manipulate for him to share with his company and see what they thought. He said it would be nice to have input from someone of the US because they mainly sell to the US. I showed them some of the tins from work and then we were off to bed.

No comments: