Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tara's Tale

Where to begin?

Once upon a time...

It was a dark and scary night...

Back in February I submitted myself for a background role through Central Casting. The casting was looking for 18tly (people who are over 18 but look like they can play younger, 18 To Look Younger) to play interns on a new movie with the code name "Fiona's Tale." We would need to be available on February 16 and 17 to work in LA. Then we would also need to be available to possibly work on April 29, 30, and May 1 in NEW YORK CITY! What a cool opportunity! I submitted and hoped for the best. About two weeks later, I got a call from Central Casting saying I had been picked by the director to play one of the interns. Yay!

The work days in February were fun. We actually worked 4 days, which was nice to get some SAG work. Some of the days were long and a couple were short. There were 19 interns total. We were pre-fit for costumes and could only wear clothes from production in case we weren't chosen to go to New York. That way we wouldn't be wearing something on screen that someone in New York wouldn't be able to replicate. After we worked the four days, we still were not told who was going to New York. We just had to wait it out.


Finally, two weeks before they flew out to New York, I got the call from Central Casting saying I had been one of the few people to go to NY! Apparently I was the only girl chosen. It was me and 4 other boys.


The flight out was amazing. I think there is something in the SAG contract that requires them to do this because I got to fly first class! There were two non-union boys that had to sit in coach. I felt bad for them, but not bad enough to give them my seat in first. They fed us an amazing breakfast and the seats were so awesome! I could get used to this.


We arrived around 3:30 and grabbed a taxi to the hotel. We saw Andrew Garfield in the elevator on our way to our rooms, which by the way, we all got our own rooms, even the boys. We all left thinking we'd grab a bite to eat and go do something, but the boys were so slow and indecicive that I had to split from the group. Me trying to shop with 5 boys just doesn't work. I said my goodbyes and was on my way.


I first went to Saks Fifth Avenue and looked at all the beautiful clothes and accessories that were way too expensive for me. I had planned on buying lots of fun things in NY but not blowing it all and then some on one item. I moved on. I walked around and it was getting late, so all the shops were closing. I decided to check out some of the sites.


I swung by the New York Public Library and Grand Central Station and picked up a pretzel from a street vendor along the way. Then I hopped on the subway and walked to the MoMA. It was Friday night and they have a "Target Free Friday Night" where theres free admission from 4pm-8pm. I spend the rest of my night looking at Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Picasso, Van Gogh and other great artists. I also did a quick walk to Times Square by myself. Erin arrived that night and stayed with me.


Saturday we worked. We met in the lobby at 5am and shuttled to the shooting location. We worked at the Hearst Building which is really cool looking. It was a full day of work, I think we finished around 7pm. The Erin, the boys and myself went to the Brooklyn Diner for dinner. It was so good! I got their famous Mac & Cheese and it was incredible. So cheesy. In a good way.


Sunday we had the day off. Erin and I took the subway to the Staten Island Ferry and rode that for free. Saw the Statue of Liberty from the ferry. From there we walked to the Brooklyn Bridge, the long way. We had walked along the water, thinking that's where the bridge started. Wrong. It starts inland quite a ways, so we had to backtrack inland to get to the pedestrian path. Then we walked around everywhere and did a whole bunch of shopping. I found some really cute shoes. We had dinner at Benihanas with the boys again.


That night I was getting really sad that I had to leave so early on Monday. So I went online to see if and how much it would cost to change my flight to a later time. I knew that a couple of the guys had asked production to push their depature days so they could stay in NY a little longer. I went online and was able to change my flight for free since it was a first class/elite ticket. I now got to leave at 6pm instead of 10am. Woot!


Erin and I took advantage of the extra time to squeeze in some more shopping before I left. I found a cute red bow belt and a couple things from vintage and thrift stores. All in all, it was a successful shopping excursion. I flew home in first class one last time and had an amazing sirloin steak dinner on the flight. It was such an awesome trip.


And one huge bonus of the trip, was I got to fly to New York City for free in first class and get paid to do it. Monday was a travel day, so we got paid for that. Saturday we worked, so we got paid for that. Sunday was a free day, but they still paid us. And Sunday was a travel day, so we got paid for that. Plus we got a $75 per diem every day for meals. I have a feeling I probably won't get another opportunity like that in a long while!


If you want to see my photos you can go to this Facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.529013831364.2026465.148300522&l=65a2aca93f

Oh yeah, I can't technically say what movie it is, but "Fiona's Tale" has Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield in it, his character is a superhero and flies with webs. (wink wink)

No comments: